Tuesday, August 31, 2010

my name

Many years ago when email was a new thing it came time for me to choose an email address.  My kids told me to be creative so  I went back to my childhood and pulled out a couple of nicknames my kind and loving brothers bestowed upon me.  Growing up in a large family and having a name that was easily manipulated I had plenty of them.  First, I couldn't say my own name.  Think about it, Sylvia doesn't easily roll off a toddlers tongue.  I called myself Sobia for quite a while.  Then being surrounded my creative siblings  I ended up being called Slivers.  It wasn't meant as a complement.     Later, Silver was given.  Little did I know how much I would live up to that name.  Of course, Sylv, Sylvie and Sly are just a few more.   No one calls me by a nickname anymore unless mom,  grandma or nana counts.  I like those names the best.     What is your nick name? 



8 comments:

  1. Funny this should come up again, just discussed nicknames with a couple of fellows that I went through high school with! Seems like everyone had one but me, I feel deprived! (When I moved to Boise believe it or not a Miriam had just moved away from there and she had been called "Mim". A few people tried to call me that for a little while, but then decided it just wasn't me.) That's the closest I ever got to one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure why some people have nicknames and some don't. Maybe your parents gave you the perfect name to begin with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miriam? I hate to think so....since I've never been overly fond of it. I think I would have enjoyed having a nickname instead, depending on the nickname of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did call you "Mariam" for years, did I?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No you did not! And Mariam would hardly count anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I called you Mariam. I thought that was your name. I remember being embarrassed that I had been saying your name wrong. I still have a hard time putting that "i" in there. But, if you insist, I will come up with a proper nickname for you. Just give me a minute....or two.

    Okay, I have it. You are hereby renamed, Imsie. I like it. Kinda cute don't ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imsie, huh. Not bad, but I probably won't respond to it since I'll not realize it's me! Even 'Grandma' is taking me awhile to figure out they're wanting my attention!

    I have no memory of you ever calling me Mariam, so your embarrassment was wasted! With a name like mine I was so used to mispronounciations that I rarely even noticed the really bad ones! That's a fun little tid-bit of past history between us that's fun to know all these years later :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Imsie sounds like a girl that is graceful, beautiful, playful, sings, and has a open smile. Can't you just see yourself? You'll always be Imsie to me.

    ReplyDelete